Friday, June 25, 2010

Tie Dye Experiment - Success!



I tried a new tie dye technique for the first time the other day, and was surprisingly happy with the result!

Usually I do the basic tie dye patterns - swirls, circles, etc. Once I tried a peace sign using a sewing method, which turned out fine.

This time I used a method outlined here. This tutorial is specifically for a heart shape, but you can adapt the technique to any shape, like I did with this mandolin t-shirt for my dad's father's day gift!

First tie dyed, then added the black fabric marker details after the shirt was washed.

Experiment with your own shapes! It looks like simple designs will work best, along with contrasting colors for the inside of your shape and the first ring around it. I don't tie dye that often...but I am excited to see what other shapes will work well this way! More instruments? Animals? Typography?? We'll see...

No comments: