Sunday, June 14, 2009

Old Prints









































































































































































































A couple summers ago, 2006 I think, I took a couple art classes at a state college while home for the summer. At first I was disappointed that they weren't very serious classes and were filled with people who could have cared less about art and were just trying to fill in easy credits... 

The 2 week printmaking class I took, however, was filled with people who didn't consider themselves artist, but I say they were. They loved being there and learning how to create something new. It ended up being really exciting to be part of a group where you could create art just because you liked it and it was fun, without having to over think everything.

While visiting my parents last weekend (for my brother's college graduation party! congrats Paul!) I found these old prints. I have a bunch of them and will probably sell some, maybe frame a couple, but above is a preview of what I did in that course. 

For some pieces we had to recreate another artist's work...which I really didn't like. You can see above I chose Keith Haring's DJ Dog, an Oil War poster (chosen from a political art book the professor had), and a page from the Beatrix Potter classic, Peter Rabbit (one of my favorite books of all time). I loved coming up with my own whimsical scenes however, including a boy playing tether-ball, a toy bicycle and a neon alien spaceship flying through NYC.

No comments: