Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Funny Moments between Me & Art

I was just remembering an interesting moment I had with art in the 7th grade (maybe 8th...but pretty sure it was 7th). At the time it felt awkward, then as I went through art school I realized it was just plain stupid.

During 7th grade English we had an in-class assignment to Illustrate pages from a book we were reading. I don't even remember the book, but I remember it being about adults, not children. I drew the female character with breasts. Fully clothed of course - no nudity, literally just curvy under whatever type of outfit I was drawing on her.

The teacher was walking around as we worked, looked at mine and said I was a little young for that and made me erase it. I remember being so embarrassed and not really understanding why it was bad.

After going through high school art classes and eventually landing in art school, I realized that whole experience was rather stupid (through figure drawing classes and such you get pretty comfortable with the naked body).

Essentially, as a 12 or 13 year old, I was being told I was too young to Illustrate a body that was anatomically correct. At the age when girls should be learning about their bodies and feel comfortable with what their bodies are growing into, I was basically told it was "inappropriate". What a strange experience, right?

Do you have any silly or awkward moments in art?

No comments: