First some sketches. At the beginning of the process I really wanted to incorporate the triangle bunting… but in the end the monkey became more important.
After finalizing the image and typography, I tried a few different colors. Blue? Green? Should the monkey be colored? Or just outlines?
Once the colors were chosen, I printed the invites (front and back), and the small direction cards. I find it easier to print 4 cards on 8.5” x 11” paper and cut with an X-acto. For me this is more convenient than trying to align 4” x 6” paper properly to print both sides.
I designed colorful circular envelope seals, and printed blue address labels to match the typography from the invites.
Everything cut and ready to be assembled. Envelopes, address labels, return address labels, envelope seals, direction cards, and the invitation itself.
All the invites ready to go!
Being a big dork, I like to see the entire process, beginning to end. This means what the invite looks like, even after going through the mail. So here’s the invite I mailed back to myself, with the postage stamps and a little water damage to the return address label.