Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sea Glass Necklace























Every time I go to the beach I search for interesting shells and smooth stones, but if I'm lucky enough to find a piece or two of really smooth sea glass, then you know its been a good day. Well, a few days ago while waiting for the ferry, I found the jackpot of sea glass.

Near the ferry there is a little space where you can walk down and you are on the sand next to the water...its not really a beach...its pretty dirty and only stretches about 20-30 ft. Nobody ever goes down there because they come off the train and rush to catch the ferry—that 20-30 ft span of "beach" is nearly uncharted territory. This means, nobody picks up the abundance of sea glass waiting to be turned into amazing accessories! 

I collected a couple pockets full, some of which will soon be turned into jewelry available at my Etsy store. The first necklace of the group (above) was a Mother's Day gift for my mom. The clear sea glass is wrapped in sterling silver wire. Hanging in front of the glass are three tear drop shaped pieces of a plastic A&W bottle and a wooden bead. The pendant hangs from a brown cotton chord with a sterling silver lobster clasp.

No comments: